Architectural History Minute
Delta Phi (Lienroc) 100 Cornell Ave
Designed/Built: (1867-75), Nichols and Brown; Thomas Fuller
Leinroc, currently the home of Delta Phi Fraternity, is the building most closely associated with Era Cornell – industrialist, philanthropist and founded or Cornell University. While overseeing the construction of the university’s first buildings, Cornell built an imposing residence for himself. Designed by the Albany firm Nichols and Brown and refined by Thomas Fuller, the resulting gothic revival villa occupies an impressive hillside site with panoramic views of Ithaca and Cayuga lake.
Construction on the house began in 1867, the 2 1/2 story mansion was finished with a smooth- faced limestone. Interior gothic motifs are executed in black walnut and stained oak. other notable features include a three story monumental central stair hall and lead crystal chandeliers (insured for over 50 grand each). Leinroc was completed in 1875, one year after Cornell’s death, therefore the house was never occupied by Cornell, but instead his widow Mary Ann and their two daughters.
The Pi chapter of Delta Phi was founded at Cornell in 1891, and they purchased the residence from the daughters in the early 20 century and have largely maintained the house in its original state.
Chi Phi (Craigielea) 107 Edgemoor Ln.
Designed/Built: (1890) Rebuilt (1903), William H. Miller and Arthur Gibb
One of the earliest fraternities on campus, Chi Phi was founded at Cornell in 1868. Like the Delta Kappa Epsilon house nearby, the house sits south of the campus on a sloping site clost to Cascadilla Creek. It was designed by William H. Miller, who was a member of Chi Phi while studying at Cornell. With half-timbering over much of the building, a tower rising several levels, and small paned windows, the house clearly is designed in the English Tudor Revival style. From the exterior, it is similar in scale to many large scale private residences designed by Miller in Ithaca. The original 1980 house was heavily damaged in a fire in 1903, which required Miller and Gibb to rebuild it. The interior includes wood paneled public reception rooms and stained glass windows, denoting the ample degree of comfort and Luxury sought by the early fraternity brothers.
Delta Kappa Eplision (Deke) 13 South Ave
Designed/Built: (1893)Additions (1910), William H. Miller, Arthur Gibb (additions)
Delta Kappa Eplison was established at Cornell in 1870 with the support. With the support of alumni members, they purchased property on south campus and selected William H. Miller to design their new chapter house. Using a Romanesque vocabulary and St. Lawrence marble veneer and stone as a primary building material, Miller created a dramatic sited structure. The house was luxurious compared to many student accommodations at the time and originally a staff of servants and chef looked after the brothers of the house. In 1910, Gibb designed an east wing to accommodate the growing fraternity on the site of the original tennis court. The house is distinguished by the main tower visible on the exterior. Miller’s use of the tower is a significant element in his work as seen within the Cornell campus at McGraw Tower and Barnes Hall. The interior of the house contains a number of public spaces. the main hall provides access to a library dominated by an elegant fireplace and a large refectory complete with chimes.
A special Thanks goes out to Graham, Tom and HOLT of making this possible… sticky shoes and all, and yes Amber an I had our HOLT shirts on 🙂
· Historic Ithaca
· Pictures: yours truly
as always also posted on https://holtarchitects.wordpress.com/
HOLT Architects, P.C.
217 N. Aurora St.
Ithaca, NY 14850
phone 607 273-7600 Ext. 151
fax 607 273-0475