Architectural History Minute
Ithaca Gun Company
Founded: (1880), Demolished 2009?
Ithaca Gun Company was founded in 1880 by four men: investors Dwight McIntyre and John Van Natta and craftsmen Leroy Smith and W.H. Baker.Inspired by the high demand for guns, the men bought a small wooden mill built by Ezra Cornell for their first factory. By 1924, Ithaca Gun Company’s production soared to 53,000 guns per year, establishing them as a major player in the industry. The company’s success was distinguished by numerous awards for its intricately engraved, high quality firearms.
Check-out the rest of the story here: http://tcpl.org/local-history/spotlight-ithaca-gun.php
Check out these pre-demolition photos here (photo galleries near bottom of the page): http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=22914
images courtesy Google image search and http://tcpl.org/local-history/documents/ithaca-tc/Scrapbook/Scrapbook_pt07.pdf
HOLT Architects, P.C.
217 N. Aurora St.
Ithaca, NY 14850
phone 607 273-7600 Ext. 151
fax 607 273-0475