Architectural History Minute
First Baptist Church
Founded: 1804 Built 1899, Designed: ?
|“First Presbyterian Church (FPC) has been present in downtownIthaca since 1804…… in 1816, property was acquired for a new, larger meeting house with an adjacent public square, later named after General Simeon de Witt, the founder of Ithaca…… In1899, the congregation decided to build a new, larger church on the same spot. This is the current Romanesque building at the corner of Court and Cayuga Streets…… A large interior, with wide arches and coffered ceiling, offered space for the 629 members. ”Read the full History Here: http://www.firstpresithaca.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=106|
For a quick description of the large stained glass windows, and their local patrons, look here http://www.firstpresithaca.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=110&Itemid=74
Images courtesy Google image search, http://www.firstpresithaca.org/, and Bing Maps
HOLT Architects, P.C.
217 N. Aurora St.
Ithaca, NY 14850
phone 607 273-7600 Ext. 151
fax 607 273-0475