Architectural History Minute
Newfield Covered Bridge
“ Newfield’s covered bridge is the last survivor of the three original covered bridges erected in Tompkins County. This bridge spans the West Branch of Cayuga Inlet and occupies a log bridge site that we are told dates back from 1812……At the time of construction, lumber was plentiful and labor was cheap. Men worked from sunup to sundown for $1.00 a day and lumber cost $6.00 per one thousand board feet. The total cost of the bridge was $800.00.”
“Many of the covered bridges still standing are, like the New-field bridge, the Town Lattice pattern which was patented in 1820 and 1835 by an architect of New Haven, Connecticut, Ithiel Town. By this method, planks are joined together with trunnels in a lattice pattern.”
Read the rest of the story here: http://www.nycoveredbridges.org/page45.html
Images courtesy Google image search
HOLT Architects, P.C.
217 N. Aurora St.
Ithaca, NY 14850
phone 607 273-7600 Ext. 151
fax 607 273-0475