Architectural History Minute
Cascadilla School Boathouse
Built: 1896, Designed: Clinton Vivian & Arthur Gibb
In the early 1890s, the Cascadilla School purchased forty acres of land adjacent to Cayuga Lake to develop athletic facilities, now Stewart Park. The building is an example of a collegiate style boathouse, and is historically and architecturally significant. It was designed to store boat shells and to be used for recreational and social purposes. The building maintains its same use as a storage facility to this day. The interior features rounded openings facing the water. Large second floor assembly room with wood floors and doors to the veranda. The Cascadilla School was founded in the 1870s by two young Cornell University professors, Lucien Augustus Wait (1846-1913) who taught Mathematics & Bela P. MacKoon (1840-99) who taught Latin & German. They established a tutoring school for Cornell students as well as for those who planned to enter Cornell and located it in Cascadilla Place, still a part of the Cornell campus and now known as Cascadilla Hall…….
Read the rest of the story here: http://nyslandmarks.com/southerntier/ith001.htm, http://friendsofstewartpark.org/about/park/natural-cultural-history/ and http://cascadillaschool.org/index.php?id_page=46
Images courtesy Google image search and http://friendsofstewartpark.org/photos/
HOLT Architects, P.C.
217 N. Aurora St.
Ithaca, NY 14850
phone 607 273-7600 Ext. 151
fax 607 273-0475